You may think that fluoride treatments are just for kids. Not so! While children and teenagers are obvious candidates, adults can certainly benefit from fluoride varnish as well. We’ve recently begun offering fluoride treatment for adults, and the response has been enthusiastic!
Fluoride varnish might be for you if you have:
- more than three restorations (fillings, crowns, etc)
- special health care needs (medical conditions that limit self-care)
- visible plaque
- recession or exposed root surfaces
- dry mouth
- chemo/radiation therapy
Why fluoride varnish
According to the American Dental Association, fluoride varnish accomplishes three major goals:
- It helps harden the tooth enamel coating that protects teeth from the acid produced by decay-causing bacteria for up to three months after application.
- It reduces the ability of decay-causing bacteria to stick so it’s easier to wash away the bacteria with saliva, brushing and other dental hygiene activities.
- It reduces tooth sensitivity.
Insurance typically does not cover adult fluoride application but we’ve tried to keep the cost as low as possible. It is $35 for a single application to all of your teeth.
What you can do
Other things you can do to strengthen your teeth:
- Brush with a fluoride toothpaste. Ask us if prescription fluoride would work for you.
- Use a fluoride rinse like ACT directly before bedtime so it has time to do its work.
Author: Michelle Fox
For more about your dental health, including quick and easy tips, download our free ebook 10 Secrets to Dental Health. Or, come in to see us! If you’re looking for a dentist in Milwaukee who cares about your comfort and overall health, make an appointment now.